Nemesis Paintball Team - Forum

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Similar topics
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 41 on August 2nd 2014, 11:35
Statistics
We have 104 registered users
The newest registered user is patriciagray

Our users have posted a total of 8209 messages in 860 subjects
Latest topics
» Its been quiet.... to quiet...
February 27th 2015, 13:49 by Torrant

» Battle of Endor-September 6-7 Lets Get This Started!!!!
September 3rd 2014, 13:49 by Torrant

» I'm back, greg.
July 14th 2014, 14:36 by Saw

» Band of Brothers Operation Watchtower
May 30th 2014, 11:16 by Beaver

» Blitz Memorial Day
May 22nd 2014, 16:02 by Torrant

» Happy Birthday
May 15th 2014, 17:32 by Torrant

» Stormtrooper ETEK/EGO
March 19th 2014, 16:09 by Naid

» Tippmann Pros/Redcell Paintball
March 5th 2014, 04:55 by patriciagray

» Nemesis T-shirts
February 28th 2014, 11:44 by Little Trooper

Top posters
Torrant (1708)

Bronx (1375)

Lord Cuppy TuTu (973)

Wego (857)

Naid (494)

Saw (483)

MOTHER (323)

schuby (270)

Beaver (244)

Bolt (218)

September 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Social Networking

Facebook
MySpace
Twitter
Email

Share | 

Problem with old chevy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Naid
Team Nemesis

PostSubject: Problem with old chevy   December 15th 2009, 22:20

I have a 14yr old chevy cavelier and it has a broken head gasket. I wanted to know where i could get it fixed a a little more cheap. Im wanted to do it myself but iim not sure i have the tools to do the job. If anyone can help lemme know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lord Cuppy TuTu
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Problem with old chevy   December 16th 2009, 08:21

Naid,
can i get a little more info on this.
Year
What engine (ie, 2.0L, 2.3L, V6, I4)
what tranny (Auto, Manual)
What accessories does it have (AC, Power Steering)

The more info you can give the better we can help you.

And are you sure it is your head gasket, what symptoms is the car having that lead you to the head gasket?

Originally posted by Bronx: I just realized after learning all this stuff about LCT, that we are soul mates.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bolt

PostSubject: Re: Problem with old chevy   December 16th 2009, 10:23

Naid If you dont know much about cars the chance of you doing this repair is slim to none (this is one of the biggest repairs you will have to make on a car)... and depending on what engine you have it could run from 1100 to 2500... pray it does not have the old quad 4 in it (if you have a Z24 you should have that motor 2.4l)!

If it has a Blown head Gasket you will have one of these symptoms: Water in the oil ( looks like a milky residue on your dip stick), Oil in your radiator ( looks like a milkshake in your reservoir), Or when you start up the car with the Radiator cap off and look in the radiator it will have a bunch of bubbles coming out of it...

If it has one of any of these then it is definitely a Head Gasket!
If it doesn't then there is a good chance that it is not!

Let me know what they told you and who said it.

Before you pay to get it fixed please consider that you might be better off getting another car!
When a HG fails it is usually followed by overheating or knocking; both of which can be unrepairable and have dire consequences to the over all life of your car.

You can polish a Turd but it doesn't mean you should!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Torrant
Nemesis Post Whore

PostSubject: Re: Problem with old chevy   December 16th 2009, 11:37

I agree with Bolt, sometimes older cars can nickle and dime you do death and if you look at the overall cost of what your putting into it your wasting your money to end up with a car that you wont get 1/3 of the cost you just put in to keep it running. If the problem isn't that costly then you might consider it, but if your looking at dumping 1100$ into a car that isn't worth that much then your to quote Bolt "polishing a turd".

You might look for another cavelier of the same model that only needs minor work, pick it up cheap and use the parts from the one you have to get that one running, but if you don't know much about cars then this is a very tricky project to undertake, better to look for a fresher turd to polish that at least runs. Better to spend a little more money now than to keep pumping money into something that will just keep giving you blue balls over and over jocolor

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Problem with old chevy   December 16th 2009, 15:00

I love how turds and blue balls comes up in a conversation about fixing cars, only in this forum. lol

Originally posted by Bronx: I just realized after learning all this stuff about LCT, that we are soul mates.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Torrant
Nemesis Post Whore

PostSubject: Re: Problem with old chevy   December 16th 2009, 15:27

Lord Cuppy TuTu wrote:
I love how turds and blue balls comes up in a conversation about fixing cars, only in this forum. lol

Official winner "Quote of the day"

Team Nemesis

PostSubject: Re: Problem with old chevy   December 16th 2009, 19:55

For everyone's information im not completly clueless about cars. Im taking an advanced automotive class. Its a 1997 automatic 2.4 liter Im sure its a head gasket leak because the coolant is leakin from a specific area.

And this car is suppose to get me through college unless I can get a decent loan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bolt

PostSubject: Re: Problem with old chevy   December 17th 2009, 02:00

What do you mean leaking "from a certain area" When a head gasket fails it just that, it fails.... it allow's water flow from the water jacket cooling ports to either the oil ports or into the compression chamber... If it is leaking out the side of the motor or between the head and block then there is either a crack in the head or the block or you overheated the motor and something is warped causing it to leak... 99.9% of the time it WILL NOT leak out the side of a engine... Please explain in detail to me what is going on to lead you to believe that this is a head gasket failure.. also what the car is doing... like over heating, knocking, high consumption of fluids, stalling and so forth. I was not trying to say you don't know anything about cars but you are only going to be as good as the guy who teaches you... So it never hurts to learn more! Also take a couple pics if you can and tell the mileage and what services you have done recently to it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wego
Nemesis Post Whore

PostSubject: Re: Problem with old chevy   December 18th 2009, 01:50

Naid, as an expert in polishing a turd to get you by, (most of you have seen my truck!), you need to post up more info! Bolt is right, if it's leaking out the side it is most likely not a head gasket. Depending on where it is leaking from, it could be anything from freeze plug to cracked head/block! More info please!

Lord Cuppy Tutu Quote: "I love how turds and blue balls comes up in a conversation about fixing cars"

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Naid
Team Nemesis

PostSubject: Re: Problem with old chevy   December 18th 2009, 10:52

Well so far is has more than 160k+ miles on it. I can tell its a leak because the leak trail begins from the top of the engine head. It goes through coolant more than it should. It also loses a large consumption of oil (but thats a entirely different problem I think) The only previous problems i can think of is a circuit malfunction that causes the fuse for the horn, cigerette lighter, and the radio to short out. I don't think that has anything to do with the engine though. This problem isn't much of an inconvience but its just something i'd like to fix. So far i've been able to control any overheating that might occur by constanly refilling fluids. If there any specific questions that'd like to be answered about this ask and you will recieve.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bolt

PostSubject: Re: Problem with old chevy   December 18th 2009, 16:29

Well I happy to say that I would bet everything I know on cars (thats saying allot) that you do not have a head gasket problem! More than likely it is just a simple coolant leak that will cost next to nothing to fix... The oil consumption is due to piston ring wear, thus resulting into blow by into the piston cambers and cooked oil! Or a EGR problem... I would try putting a quart of lucas oil stabilzer into your car upon your next oil change and see if that help with the oil consumption if not turn towards the EGR system. Whatever you end up doing DO NOT put any stop leak bullshit stuff in your car!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wego
Nemesis Post Whore

PostSubject: Re: Problem with old chevy   December 18th 2009, 16:31

If the leak is on the top of the head it would be a valve cover gasket or intake gasket not a head gasket, not sure why you would be leaking coolant there though! The head gasket is between the head and the block! where on the engine is the leak? By that I mean front, side, back etc... a pic would be great if you can get one!

Lord Cuppy Tutu Quote: "I love how turds and blue balls comes up in a conversation about fixing cars"

Last edited by Wego on December 19th 2009, 00:54; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Naid
Team Nemesis

PostSubject: Re: Problem with old chevy   December 18th 2009, 23:55

Wego wrote:
If the leak is on the top of the head it would be a valve cover gasket not a head gasket, not sure why you would be leaking coolant there though! The head gasket is between the head and the block! where on the engine is the leak? By that I mean front, side, back etc... a pic would be great if you can get one!

Exactly where its leaking from. Between the head and block. Its gotta be the gasket that goes over the pistons between the block and head of the engine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Problem with old chevy   

Back to top Go down

Problem with old chevy
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1